Big E Protests: 9/15-16, 22-23, & 9/29-9/30, 1-3, Gate 4!
Hello Fellow Animal Advocates,
Well, time again for The Big Exploitation of Animals! Unfortunately, Commerford Petting Zoo (including elephant, camel, & pony rides), Camel Kingdom, Big E Circus (with “animals galore”), Bear Country trailer, and the racing pigs will be back again. So your attendance this year is especially important! Please try to attend at least one protest and scroll down to see how else you can help. Thank you!!!
* Rain or shine, except in the case of heavy rain or thunderstorms. Check for a cancellation email, FB post, or call 413-374-1921 the day of protest.
***Please share this email!
* Signs will be provided, but as always, feel free to bring your own. I’d be glad to provide you with ideas and even materials, if necessary.
*Carpooling can often be arranged. Please post on our FB page for the protests here or let me know if you need a ride. Carpools are a huge help, so PLEASE offer to give a ride if possible! And if you’d like to carpool from The Big Y parking lot on Memorial Ave. (free parking), just let me know. If enough show an interest, “The Big E Protest Shuttle Bus” will be leaving each protest day from Big Y lot at 12:20. But I will not be there unless you request a ride.
* And the Big E shuttle bus ($5 cash roundtrip) is also available from ENFIELD, CT – https://d38trduahtodj3.cloudfront.net/files.ashx?t=fg&rid=TheBigE&f=Big_E_Shuttle_Schedule_2017(1).pdf.
* We’ll also be distributing great new flyers created just for the Big E by the wonderful Carrie LeBlanc of Compassion Works International (www.cwint.org). Thank you, Carrie!
*** Please sign/share our PETITION – https://www.change.org/p/eugene-cassidy-end-the-use-of-wild-animal-acts-at-the-big-e#!!!
*** Please join/share our protest on our Facebook event page too -https://www.facebook.com/events/2144329682451713/ . Thanks!
*** And please scroll down to see OTHER ways you can help put an end to the Big E’s cruel animal shows/exhibits.
*** Pictures I took a few years ago:
WHERE: Outside Gate 4 (see map at http://www.thebige.com/p/generalinfo/306). Across from Latitudes.
Directions – http://www.thebige.com/directions.aspx
Please prepare for heavy traffic and bring a $5-$10 for parking (or just put your walking shoes on)!
WHAT ARE WE PROTESTING?
1. Commerford & Sons Petting Zoo – elephant, camel, & pony rides, zebra, kangaroo, lemurs, and other exotic animals. Also has animals on display in trailers (“Unicow”, “Porky the Giant Pig”, “World’s Largest Horse”, “World’s Smallest Horse”) – Animals are kept in tiny isolated trailers to be gawked at. Extremely cruel and degrading.
* Long list of AWA violations & accidents/incidents – https://www.mediapeta.com/peta/PDF/CommerfordPettingZooFactsheet.pdf.
* Please complain to The Big E and President Cassidy (scroll down for contact info.) about this zoo and his ridiculous comments about it in The Republican in 2014 (scroll down to “Other Ways You Can Help”)!
2. Big E Circus – Has dogs and pigs this year, which is better than elephants and tigers, but is still very inhumane.
Please complain to circus sponsor Coca-Cola at https://us.coca-cola.com/help/message/. Urge them to stop sponsoring cruelty and only sponsor animal-free circuses. Thanks!
3. “Camel Kingdom” – http://camelkingdom.com/. This horrible camel show is owned by Garden Bros. Circus (has long history of serious violations) and the trainer is from Ringling Bros. I saw it last year and it was hard to watch, as it was very demeaning and the camels were forced to do unnatural things. Wasn’t even very educational! The music and speakers were blaring too. And it was heartbreaking seeing a baby camel and another young one in a separate pen, as they hadn’t been trained yet. Afterwards they sold pictures with the camels for $20 each. It’s all about the $$$!
***Please complain to Camel Kingdom sponsor, Westfield Bank, at https://www.westfieldbank.com/about/contact-us/ and post on their FB page, especially if you are a customer!
My videos of Camel Kingdom from last year:
4. “Bear Country” trailer – Bear exhibit with 4 adult bears in one trailer 24/7 with no fresh air or daylight. Am employee told me they actually live in a trailer 24/7 most of the year, being shipped from venue to venue.
5. “Swifty Swine” Racing Pigs (http://swiftyswine.com/home.htm) – This degrading event forces piglets to race 5 times a day for 17 days straight, only to then be shipped from fair to fair in tiny confined cages across the country and forced to do it again. Often they’re sold to farmers once they reach their prime to be murdered for meat. At “Swifty Swine” the baby pigs must chase an Oreo around the track, which they most likely would not do unless deprived of food. Rigorous training methods are often used too, involving electric shocks and other painful techniques.
OTHER WAYS YOU CAN HELP:
1. SIGN & SHARE OUR PETITION – https://www.change.org/p/eugene-cassidy-end-the-use-of-wild-animal-acts-at-the-big-e#!
2. COMPLAIN TO BIG E at info@TheBigE.com and to BIG E CEO, President Cassidy, at ecassidy@TheBigE.com!
He was quoted in this 2015 Republican article: “PETA calls on Big E to drop elephant show, petting zoo; fair president says Eastern States Exposition won’t be bullied” – http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2014/09/peta_calls_on_big_e_to_drop_el.html. Please tell Big E President Eugene Cassidy that you will not stand for his ignorant shameful comments about folks complaining about Commerford Petting Zoo and the Commerford Zoo itself. He “dismissed the complaints, calling them politically motivated and intellectually dishonest” and “called it a ‘sterling operation,’ and one of the best he has seen in North America. Anyone who says that animals there are not properly cared for, he said, ‘doesn’t know what he’s talking about.'” Sounds like he has it all backwards. He’s either in denial or isn’t facing the facts documented by the USDA: https://www.mediapeta.com/peta/PDF/CommerfordPettingZooFactsheet.pdf
3. COMPLAIN TO SPONSORS!
• Send complaints to Camel Kingdom sponsor, Westfield Bank: https://www.westfieldbank.com/about/contact-us/
• Send complaints to Coca-Cola, Big E circus sponsor, at https://us.coca-cola.com/help/message/. Urge them to only sponsor animal-free circus!
4. WRITE LETTERS TO THE EDITOR! This is SO very important! We must educate folks prior to the event to keep them from supporting cruelty at The Big E. Letters can also be written after the event, expressing your dismay. Here are some letters sent to the editor about The Big E, Commerford Petting Zoo, and animals in entertainment as a whole.
The Republican – firstname.lastname@example.org (Include name, address, email address, & phone #. Should be brief).
The Hampshire Gazette – http://www.gazettenet.com/Opinion/Submit-a-Letter
The Valley Advocate – email@example.com (No more than 250 words. Must be signed!)
The Reminder – News@ReminderPublications.com
5. GIVE BLOOD FOR FREE BIG E PASS and either donate it to me or visit on your own and look for AWA violations (see AWA regulations here), take pics or videos, and send them to me! We’d greatly appreciate passes to check for violations!
Baystate Blood Mobile is giving away passes all August (see https://www.baystatehealth.org/-/media/files/services/blood-drives/current-blood-drives.ashx?la=en). And Red Cross is giving some away too (http://www.redcrossblood.org/).
6. SPREAD THE WORD! Share this email, our FB event page and petition, and urge others to speak out!
Please try to attend at least one protest…we are the only voice they have! Thank you all! This campaign is a tough one, but we are moving in the right direction. We must continue working in every possible way to remove animals in entertainment from The Big E.
Hope to see you there!
For the Animals,